Activities and Attractions
Surfing Lessons: Yessss! Now this is all about surfin’ dude. Jeffreys Bay is a surfer’s paradise, grab your board and get out there!! If you are new to the sport, fear not, at Cristal Cove you can have a professional surf instructor show you the ropes – and he even almost guarantees you will stand up on the board. All equipment provided. No experience needed.
Horse Riding: A 13km circular horse trail through indigenous coastal vegetation, over picturesque dunes and alongside the Gamtoos river mouth. Once on the beach you are free to gallop your horse through 6km of isolated beach, or take a slow stroll and enjoy this beautiful piece of unspoiled paradise. All equipment provided. No experience needed.
Custom Wild Life Safari Tours: Hop into our roomy and comfortable chauffer driven bundu-bashing automobile (awesome car equipped for adventure chasing and wild life finding) and get yourself ready for some serious wild life spying. With a selection of safari parks for you to choose from, Cristal Cove will give you and African experience of a life time. It’s a sure thing you will see the BIG 5 plus way more!
- Safari tours: to various safari parks
- Surf adventure: in the unlikely event that there are no waves in Jeffreys Bay, a knowledgeable surf rat who goes by the name of “Wave Finder” will take you to other spots bound to have some waves.
- Nature walks: enjoy a guided walk through some of the most beautiful unspoilt nature reserves and estuaries
- Tsitsikamma falls and surrounds: where you can check out the Monkey Land and Birds of Eden, try your hand at bungee jumping or just go and see this amazing place through the eyes of a local.
Sand Boarding: Jeffreys Bay’s dunes are perfect for this adrenalin junkie sport. Racing down sublime dunes will blow your hair back one way or another. All equipment provided. No experience needed.
Fishing and Deep Sea Fishing: Before becoming the surfing Mecca of Africa, Jeffreys Bay was a fishing villiage. There is excellent fishing all year round. Surf fishing along beaches from Gamtoos River Mouth to Kabeljous Mouth. Rock fishing from Kabeljous to Paradise Beach. Deep sea fishing can be booked at Cristal Cove.
Visit the Penguins: Hop on over to Cape st Francis to where the lighthouse is and right next door you’ll find The Penguin Sanctuary. You’ll get a chance to interact with our indigenoue penguins and find out more about these faciniating creatures – don’t forget you camera for this one!
Museums: For those interested in the history and culture of this town there are a few museums for you to explore
- Shell museum: over 600 shells, the largest collection in the country covering species from all over the world.
- Surf museum: where you can view the history of surfing in Jeffreys Bay. Definitely worth a visit if surfing is your passion
- The light house: The Cape St Francis light house, built in 1878 is the tallest Masonry tower in south African coast.
Whale and Dolphin Watching: Wow! What a breath taking awe-inspiring sight. Dolphins playing in the waves with unbridled enthusiasm, diving and breaching for their audience who stand watching with stars in their eyes and ear to ear smiles. Every year between May and December the migrating whales make their way to Hermanus to give birth, and whales can be seen breeching almost daily during this season.
The best place to stay in jay bay by far..such a cool vibe ...Dave the owner is one of the coolest locals ive met.. and will make your time there unforgettable ..just like a family ....i love the crystal cove ..thanks for everything ....
I was passing through J-Bay and planned on spending a couple of nights here but ended up staying one week. The staff here were all super welcoming and friendly! The place has a very homely feel and the dorm was very spacious with a good bathroom, kitchen and lounge area.